I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
Research is one of the core functions of State Universities and Colleges and consider as the hub-lock of the Institution. Research plays a vital role in transforming the image of the college into an institution with a trademark of quality and excellence. It serves as the data bank or the reservoir of various information vital to the growth and development of the college and the region.
The formulation of research agenda considers the immediate and long needs and concerns of the institution, the community it serves, and expertise of the faculty and staff. Research efforts are geared toward the development of academic programs especially in agriculture, information technology, teacher education, environmental and social science. The research and development programs and projects of the institution anchored not only in the local but also in regional and national research thrust and concerns.
The office shall tap experts and planners from the college and various government agencies. It is also the concern of this office to build up its capability and raise funds to finance research activities, thus transform the office as a revenue-generating center of the college.
The R&D office has to engage in basic and applied researches and provide effective transfer of technology that will spur economic activity and development in the region especially in the community it serves.
II. RESEARCH AREAS
Research Agenda Alignment Matrix
|Research Topics||Focal School/Program||RA fulfills College VM (Yes, No)||RA satisfies the five-year research strategic plan (Yes, No)||RA addresses relevant issues in the institution or in the community (Yes, No)||RA aligns with higher agency research agenda||Enabling mechanisms|
|A. Sustainable Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources (SAANR)||SAFES, MAgDev/MSERM, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, DA, TESDA , DENR,||REC and other committees, Manuals (Research, IPR, Ethics), software, capacitated faculty, PRAISE, SPMS|
|B. Quality Education and Lifelong Learning (QuELL)||STE,MAED, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||NHERA, DOST||do|
|C. Information, Communication, Engineering and Emerging Technologies (ICEET)||SET, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, TESDA||do|
|D. Language, Society, Culture and Arts (LaSCA)||SAS, STE, MAED, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, NCCA, NHERA, TESDA||do|
|E. Health and Gender Development (HGD)||BSN, BSSW, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, NUHRA, DOH||do|
|F. Food Technology and Hospitality Management (FTHM)||BSHM, BTVTED ,other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, DOT, DTI , TESDA||do|
|G. Good Governance and Human Security (GGHS)||BSCrim, BAPoS, Juris Doctor, other Schools||Yes||Yes||Yes||DOST, DILG, DND||do|
The research agenda emanate from the issues and concerns as outlined in the plan that need to be further studied. Should these research topics be pursued, the findings and recommendations of the research activities are expected to improve and address the province performance such as poverty alleviation, social and economic growth, employment generation and improving the quality of life of the people as part of the institution’s mandate, vision and mission.
IV. GENERAL POLICY STATEMENT OF HIGHER EDUCATION RESEARCH
Higher education research shall be guided by the following general policies:
- Research is the ultimate expression of an individual’s innovative and creative powers.
- Higher education institutions shall ensure that the academic environment nurtures and supports Filipino research talents;
- Research thrives is an environment characterized by free flow of information, honest and analytical exchange of ideas, and supportive administrative structures. Higher education policies shall enhance the individual’s capacity to conduct independent, collaborative and productive research.
- Research is one of the main functions of higher education. Institutions, universities, and colleges, in particular, are expected to lead in the conduct of technology-directed and innovative/creative researches which are locally responsive and globally competitive.
V. SCOPE AND PRIORITY AREAS OF RESEARCH
The research priorities of JHCSC are in line with its thrusts and programs. The Research and Development Office continues to conduct responsive and development activities emanating from the actual needs of the target clientele through a more intensive research program that is geared towards contributing to poverty alleviation, policy, curriculum development and in promoting rapid economic growth in the region and in Mindanao.
The college shall consider and adopt the following research priorities from:
1. National Harmonized Research Agenda (NHRA- 2019-2025)
2. National Higher Education Research Agenda (NHERA-2)
3. Zamboanga Peninsula Research and Development Agenda
4. Western Mindanao Agriculture, Aquatic, Research and Resources Development Consortium (WESMAARRDEC)
The research agenda provides strategic direction on how effort and resources will be focused to ensure their alignment with the regional and national research priorities. It also provides the basis for the development of detailed research plan.
While developing the research plan, the focus will be on ensuring a balanced research program that is integrated, flexible and able to respond to new priorities, and built around medium and long term collaborations with our partners and linkages.
All research proposals prepared and conducted will also be harmonized with the ASEAN Region 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SGD) such as:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and well – being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequality
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life on Land
- Peace and Justice Strong Institutions
- Partnerships to achieve the Goal
Revision of the Research Plan and Agenda will be done with the stakeholders participation to be done at least once in every two years and submit revised research plan to the Board of Trustees for approval and further enhancement and improvement.